Saturday, April 24, 2010

Hawaii: Day six

Day six, maybe it was the best. The first thing we did in the morning was a high school exchange with the Kahuku High School. They are near the Polynesian Center and also have a show choir.
The kids really enjoyed talking and getting to know each other. Pasco performed first and then the Kahuku students after. They were very good. I expected a cultural routine, but they performed a variety of fun songs and dance. One highlight came while Pasco sang "On the White Sandy Beach" one of the girls performed the hula during the song. I have never seen our boys smile so much. She was beautiful and she could move. After their performance, we convinced the boys to do the Hakka. AWESOME! I will try to upload the video here or on FB. Then they exchanged FB info. Kylie was too shy to give hers, so I helped her out. When we got home she screamed because she had a FB request from Hawaii:) That isn't the boy, but he was cute so I made her take a picture with him (Daniel jumped in for the fun of it.) What are moms for?

Next, Eddie, our tour guide, took us to the BYU campus for lunch. BEAUTIFUL! The temple is right next door. I wish we would have had more time to walk over to it.
Then came the exciting Polynesian Cultural Center, the second reason I wanted to visit Hawaii.
Eddie used to work there and took us all around. I loved learning about all the cultural. Everyone working there seems to just love it and have a great time. This is the Samoan brothers. Their tattoos were crazy and they were a hoot! They kept saying they are happy because the men cook, clean, hunt and do everything to make the women happy. If the woman is happy, the family is happy:) Then he would say, "Why didn't I move sooner?"
This is part of the canoe parade and this was Samoa because they are happy. They rocked their boat so much they made the guys on the back fall off. I'm sure it's part of the show, but it's super funny. This is New Zealand. That is where the Hakka originated from. The Hakka is thought of by most as a war dance. But it can also be a greeting dance or celebration.
This guy waved at me and I giggled like one of the high school girls.
This is Tahiti and he posed for me. SCARY!
This is also Tahiti. You can tell because the hip and head ornaments are large. They believed the bigger the hair, the more power. This is the Hawaiian canoe. This is a demonstration of the many instruments the Hawaiian people used made out of everyday things. She also demonstrated a beautiful Hula.This is the Tongan canoe. At the village, they played amazing drums. I think my brother-in-law Matt needs to visit his father's homeland and bring me back a drum:)
The Luau was nice. This little girl and her brother performed. They looked about nine and seven.
The night show was fantastic. It tells a story and portrays all the islands. The best part came when Eddie came out and did the fire dance for us and blew our group a kiss. He's in the picture somewhere:)
We went wild!!! For as large of a stadium it is, he said he could hear us. If I ever go back, I would take a few days at the Polynesian Center. It was FANTASTIC!

2 comments:

terramisu said...

Sooo Jealous. How Fun!!!

sharmysteele said...

What an Awesome trip!!!!