Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hawaii: Day five

Day five we went to the Aloha Stadium swap meet. .
This circles all the way around the Aloha Stadium. We had two hours to shop and I thought it would be way too long. I was wrong. I didn't have enough time or cash on me to do all the shopping I wanted. I couldn't even tell I was going in a circle. When I saw it was getting time to leave, I thought I would have to turn around and run back. But when I looked up, I was back where I started. I did get 8 t-shirts for $20, a variety of bracelets and necklaces 12 for $5, the boys shark necklaces for a few dollars and Camri a swimsuit for $10. I wanted a bag, but didn't have enough time to choose, soooooo many! I also wanted board shorts, but wasn't sure Jory T. would wear them. It was really fun and sometimes I don't think shopping is fun at all.

We boarded the bus at 10:30 and headed to Pearl Harbor. This was one of the reasons I decided to face my fear of flying and go to Hawaii. I've always wanted to see Pearl Harbor. They are doing a lot of construction, so we didn't get to see much. However, I cried reading the stories of some of the heroes that sacrificed so much that day. We watched a video and Kylie and I cried more. I was overwhelmed with awe at the bravery so many showed in such an ordeal. It is sad to read the names of all those who lost their lives that day. This is the USS Arizona's anchor, the only part of the battleship that was recovered after it was destroyed in the attack. All the battleships were hit and damaged during the attack on Pearl Harbor. All were repaired and fought in WWII except the USS Arizona ,that sunk, the USS Utah, and the USS Oklahoma, which were too damaged to repair. We were supposed to take a boat and visit the USS Arizona's memorial, but the winds were gusting at 60 miles an hour, so they cancelled that part of the tour. However, you can still see parts of the ship sticking out from the water. It was fascinating in a very depressing way. It's so sad to know over 1100 men's bodies are still entombed in the ship and it just sits in the water like a ghost. They are in the process of constructing memorials for the Utah and Oklahoma battleships as well.

This submarine sank more enemy battleships than any other submarine and was retired in honor of this fact. Next to it is a memorial of all the US submarines that were sunk during the war and the men that lost their lives serving on them. Some of them have not even been recovered. One sub was discovered just a few years ago somewhere in the ocean. The men who served in those submarines must have been brave men.
After the Pearl Harbor's visitor center, we boarded the bus for the USS Missouri, a retired battleship that was repaired after damaged during the attack. On our way over the bridge to the USS Missouri, the bus driver warned us not to take pictures of the base since it is still a fully operating army base (at least that's what I thought she said). If you did, the officers would toss your camera into the water. She said she's seen it happen more than once. So I'm thinking I can take pictures until we reach the other side of the bridge. That's how I got this picture of the dock where the opening credits of Gilligan's Island were filmed. Luckily, my friend told me to put the camera away. I guess you can't take pictures of the bay once you pass the officers posted on the bridge. Once we were inside the USS Missouri tour area, you could take pictures. So as I got off the bus, I kept looking over my shoulder for the big soldier who would relieve me of my camera. I didn't take another picture until everyone else had taken a bunch.

We took a group picture in front of the guns, but mine got smeared. However, the kid's picture is cute. Then the group sang down on the docks in front of the ship. The tour guide cried and many workers and tourist on board and around the ship stopped to listen. The choir director said he'd never had so many people stop and listen before when they've performed there in the past. The battleship was huge.
It holds the plaque of the Japanese surrender.
And seeing the Arizona from its deck is very touching.

Kylie in the captain's chair. I didn't realize a big ship would need windshield wipers.
By the time we got back on the bus, I was tired from all the emotions and the wind.
That night the director took all the chaperones to dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I took a cheesecake back to the room to celebrate one of the girl's 18th birthday. YUMMY!!!!
I think if I were to go back to Pearl Harbor, I would wait until all the construction was complete and make sure I had a good day or two to read, see and feel everything. I'm glad I at least had a short visit to remember those who died serving our country.

3 comments:

Denelle said...

That's really neat! I've always wanted to visit Pearl Harbor also. I'm in awe.

Deborama said...

Wow! I feel like I was there, your so good. I want to go so bad, its terrible I have been to Hawaii 4 times and never seen it! I've only been on that island a short time though to island hop to another. I can't believe you took a naughty picture, now when the terrorists come we will all know it was your fault! great!

Deborama said...

day six day six!!!! How many days were you there? 7?