Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hawaii: Day four


Tuesday was one of the best days. We went on Captain Bob's Catamaran and learned to snorkel. This was our first trip to another side of the Island. I was blown away by the mountains and cliffs. It was more like a rain forest.The dock we left from is famous for the movie "50 First Dates." It's the dock the little kids flip off. That's one of my favorite movies so I had to throw that in.
When we boarded the boat, we headed out to a sand bar to learn how to snorkel. I picked it up right away and loved it. It took Kylie a little while. She's a great swimmer and preferred to go with just the goggles. She finally got the hang of it. After practicing for quite a while, we played volleyball in the ocean. It was amazing. The sand bar is huge. It was so cold though, I spent most of my time sinking back into the water to stay warm..
We ate lunch on the boat and then set off for the reef. On the way, we saw so many sea turtles. They are cool!!! I got some better video of them. They would poke their heads out and swim right by. One flipped over in front of us and I got it on video. Exciting stuff to a girl that's only seen them in a zoo:) The reef we went to was about the size of a football field. The guide told us not to stand up on the reef or touch any species. He said a few weeks ago a girl came back with a cut finger from trying to pet an eel. The eel bit her. It was fascinating and relaxing to snorkel and see the coral When I would come up to see where I was, it was noise and cold, but in the water, it was quiet and peaceful. I was swimming along enjoying myself when an eel about three feet long snapped at me. I hadn't even seen it before I was right there and saw his face and teeth. It snapped twice and I kept my fingers and toes away from it. Then it swam down into a cave in the coral. AWESOME!!!! Too bad my video camera wasn't waterproof.
We got back to the motel around four and had the rest of the night to do what we wanted. It turned out, all the kids and most of the adults ended up at Jimmy Buffet's Restaurant for dinner. When dinner was over a live band began to play. The kids started dancing in front and the band asked who they were. When they found out they were a choir group, they invited the kids to sing along. They even let two girls sing a song each on stage and the two guitarist play on stage. We were singing along and the crowd loved the kids.. The kids on stage at the Jimmy Buffet's.

It was a blast. Definitely a day of firsts for many of us:)
From Day three, this is Pomi, the funny tour guide from Paradise Cove.
This is a little bit of our crazy bus games coming home from Paradise Cove. Camri said, "They shouldn't be standing on the bus." Just more fun pictures.





Goodness, this almost looks like an engagement picture! Actually it's one of my favorites. Michael's a great boy that's her friend:)

3 comments:

Deborama said...

Wow! I was wondering when day four was coming! :) HOW can you be excited about a scary eel, you saw its teeth and it snapped at you? I am so scared of ocean creatures! YOU ARE CRAZY! those pictures are gorgeous, I actually have to do a double take to figure out who is Kylie and who is you! What a fun time, that would be fun for the kids to get on stage!

Denelle said...

Wow, nicki, no wonder you're splitting your blogs into a day by day thing. You guys did so much. And i agree with Deb, that eel doensn't sound exciting at all. Your trip sounds incredible. How's home?;o)

Deborama said...

Come on! Im waiting for day 5! I can't handle this slow posting stuff! :)