Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Dallin's Birthday

Dallin turned 10 April 2. We had decided to go to Idaho for spring break. Since we were there, we went rollerskating in Pocatello. All my sisters and their families came, except Jeni who lives too far away like me. My sister-in-law LeAnn also came with her family. We had fun pushing strollers, playing laser tag, eating pizza and rollerskating. What a great time! I don't think he'll forget this birthday. I know I won't. No, the blow drier is not because he has asthma! J/K!!!! Ha, Ha! I thought that was a funny thing to have in the background with lit candles.

Some of the cousins for cake and ice cream after the skating.
Dallin skating away
Jory helping Camri. What a great brother!

Kylie pushing Cody. What a wonderful sister!

Now, about Dallin's birth. Dallin was due March 26th. By the last day of March, I was done. Then, my father-in-law called and asked if I was going to have an April Fool. I decided I could wait until April 2nd. That morning we called the doctor and he said he would start me. He was reluctant because my first two babies were born at home and he wanted it to be as natural as possible. Me? I just wanted the drugs and a baby. He also had a date with his wife, so he informed me I couldn't have the baby until midnight.

I only needed a cervix softener to start me. I started having contractions right away. I dialate slowly, so they wouldn't give me the epidural afraid I might quit all together. Finally late that evening, I made it to a point (I think a 4) and they said they could do it. Problem is, once I start, I don't stop. They decided to give me a quicker drug and as the drug Dr. was inserting into my back, I had the urge to push. She told me to wait and then asked if she could stay, because she never gets to be there for the fun part. I said, why not! I had a few nurses, an intern, my doctor and now her. I managed to wait until she was finished. I remember feeling the numbness move up one leg, across my body, and then down the other. I felt like a new woman and pushed with power.

A few minutes later, his head came. The cord was wrapped around his neck, so I stopped as the doctor tried to free him. It was so tight, it snapped out of the doctor's hand and slapped Dallin across the face. The Dr. finally got him free and out he came. He weighed 8 lbs, 10 oz and was 20 1/2 inches long. He was also born at 11:51 p.m. The Dr. jokingly apologized and said I really didn't have to wait until after his date. The Dr. also said he thought he heard the babies collar bone break as he was born. Poor kid was a mess. His face was bruised from the cord and he already was hurt. I remember thinking he was a pretty funny looking thing, but he'd be the one with character. As the days went by, he became prettier and prettier. His color returned and the bruising faded. He was a good looking boy! (Just as a note, after having three babies in the hospital and two at home, babies born at home are better looking. Your not pumped with fluids that puff them up and they aren't rushed away to be cleaned. Their color returns quicker and they look better.)

(The first two pics are of him in the hospital, the third he's home and looking much better. Cody looked a lot like him. )
From the get go the allergies were a problem. He was so congested. We were using saline drops from the beginning. It wasn't until later when we had him allergy tested I realized the problem. The apartment had some mold in the windows and he tested positive for molds. Poor kid. He definitely is his father's son.

3 comments:

Natasha said...

This is really weird, Baden's birthday is April 2nd and he also broke his collarbone. What are the chances?! Poor babies.

Jeni said...

The skating looked so fun. I wish I could have been there. Happy Birthday Dallin. Miss you all!

Amy J. said...

I love that they let you take the stroller out on the skate floor!

No baby should have to start out with such an injury!!!