Friday, February 6, 2009

Baby Blues



Cody started not feeling well Friday, because it was a weekend. Don't all kids get sick on the weekends? Saturday, Kylie babysat while we watched Camri and Dallin play basketball. She called to tell us Cody was having a hard time breathing. He did this at Christmas and the Dr. in Idaho said to treat him with Dallin's Albuteral and nebulizer. So I told Kylie to start that again. I was angry thinking he probably has asthma like Dallin.

We made it through the weekend and went to our family Dr. on Monday. Knowing Dallin's history, he also wondered about the asthma but tested Cody for RSV as well. I couldn't believe it, but he has RSV. He's doing fine. The nebulizer was the right thing to do. It probably kept us out of the hospital.

Dallin was three when he started showing signs of asthma. He didn't want to play. If he did play, it would only be for a little while and then he'd be tired and short of breath. At night he would breath fast even in a sound sleep. He coughed so much, but I just thought it was drainage from his allergies. Finally, one day I sent him to a good friend's house to be watched while I went to class. When I picked him up, she told me his cough was worse and it sounded more like her daughter when her asthma flares. I called the doctor, and they said to come NOW. By the time I got there, he was hardly moving. But after a treatment, he perked up and we didn't have to hospitalize him.

When Dallin was diagnosed with asthma, I went through so many emotions: sadness, anger, guilt and more. I didn't realize how severe asthma could be. I learned later that when a person is diagnosed with a chronic illness they go through the grieving process. I think I went through that with Dallin. I learned a lot about asthma that year. Asthma is the leading cause of children to miss school and one of the leading causes of hospitalization of children. But Heavenly Father blessed my family by providing supportive friends, family, teachers (who let me miss class whenever needed) and wonderful doctors to help Dallin with his illness. Now I can see how Heavenly Father continues to bless our family, because Dallin's asthma has given me plenty of experience with respiratory problems.
I laughed when I saw Dallin doing his medicine one day with 3D glasses on. He looked like an alien.
I'm a little relieved Cody has RSV, because, like the Dr. said, we don't have to call this asthma, which I hope he never has to deal with. Cody uses the nebulizer every four hours and doesn't mind at all. However, he hates his other medicines, a decongestant and an antibiotic. The video was taken Wednesday and Cody was feeling much better.
Sorry it's sideways.

8 comments:

terramisu said...

That stinks! Bridger had it and I think we are finally over the worst of it after doing breathing treatments every night for 6 months. In fact I hear him coughing right now- that constant cough is the worst sound in the world coming from your lil' one! Hang in there, Girl!

Natasha said...

Laurie and I were just discussing yesterday how kids ALWAYS get sick on the weekends! I can't believe he'll sit there and do his breathing treatments, I hope that he get better soon for both of your sakes.

Jodi said...

I hope Cody's feeling better. I love how you can always think of the positive Nicki! I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone calling asthma a blessing. You're awesome! And I love Dallin's picture...too funny!

Denelle said...

That was so funny. How sad that he has RSV. I remember when Josh had croup and just laid there on the couch weezing. I had no idea what to do. Tiff came over and said I really needed to take him to the doctor. Good thing to because they gave him steriod treatments for the next two days. Helped a ton. Anyway, that video is hillarious. I hope he's feeling better.

tiffani said...

OK something is wrong with me because I totally cried reading this blog! I guess I just love your kids too much or I am just a retard! I am glad that you could take care of him without the hospital!
PS You need a new camera dude! He was terrible and you can tell him I said that too! Can't wait to see you this weekend!

Deborama said...

Sooo funny! Poor guy! Your so mean giving him medicine! :) Im still in the denial stage of it all, Eric's dark circles under his eyes are normal! :(

Jeni said...

I'm with Tiffani. I cried too when I read your blog. What a trial but it is good to know that you have experience and that we can call you at one in the morning for advice. I am glad Cody is feeling better but it sure is a bummer that he got sick. Good thing you took him in.

LaDeaux family said...

Your video was so funny. I loved how he went back behind the curtain, like that worked the first time!