Saturday, January 10, 2009

Okay, I'm sorry about all the pictures. I couldn't figure out how to do a slide show. If anyone knows how, give me a holler. But for now, here's some fun Wyoming scenes. For our 16th anniversary, we spent a night in Jackson Hole, Wyoming were Jory used to work building log homes. We took the kids on the Elk Refuge Sleigh Ride. They really enjoyed it.
The boys were fascinated by the elk. Dallin asked the guide quite a few questions.



This bull elk was so close. The guide said as long as we stay in the sleigh, the elk are used to people. But if we were to get out, they would all spook and run, which would be dangerous.


These are the hard working horses who pulled the sleigh. The guide suggested we take a picture next to them to show how big they are. We were lucky enough to pet them as well.



Here we posed under the famous elk arches that are on all four corners of the park in Jackson. The guide said every year the boy scouts gather the antlers on the refuge and have an auction. The funds go to the refuge and boy scouts. One set of really big antlers can go for $2500 big ones. Kylie thought the antlers came from hunted elk. We reassured her elk shed then regrow them every year.


At Aunt Cori's and Uncle Justin's house in Riverton. The kids enjoyed the bon-fire used for our dutch oven cooking. Can't go wrong with food and fire. We went through a lot of hot cocoa.



Dallin and Jory also enjoyed playing country boys and helped to feed the livestock.

Our children love to ride horses. Uncle Justin has taught them well. He claims he needs them to come back this summer to ride more. I might take him up on that and have a vacation.

Kylie really is talented. She picked up some riding skills very quickly. I think it's because she could ride the mechanical bull better than most men. Kylie even gave Cody a ride, but he wanted down before we got the camera out.

I was amazed at how well Dallin rode. This is Blue, and Justin claimed only the big kids with more experience could handle her. Dallin wanted to give it a shot and surprised Justin at how well he did.


Camri didn't want to go ride horses at first (she hadn't been feeling well the whole trip). I made her go and she didn't want to get off.

Jory, of course, was in his element. I'd get horses just for him if I could afford it. He has a lot of talent and loved it. He's one that might have to go work for Justin for the summer when he gets older. (I don't know if I could part with him yet.)
Wyoming was so much fun. It was a long drive through some pretty nasty weather, but worth it.

12 comments:

Denelle said...

That looks so fun Nicki. If you had done a slide show you wouldn't have been able to tell us about each picture. I liked it.

Jodi said...

I love this post Nicki! It really looks like the perfect family vacation! I love all the pictures and I actually prefer the indivual pictures rather than the slideshows. You get to really look at them and read your comments about them. Perfect. And I just have to say it again - I LOVE your hair long. You look so pretty!! :)

Jodi said...

Oh, and love your new background - very cute. And let Kylie know, I thought the same thing about the elk horns. :)

Debie Spurgeon said...

What a great family trip and many great memories for your kids, they will remember that forever. We are so bad at taking family trips, maybe this summer.
Have a great day.

l.a.c. said...

looks like a fun family christmas...and the memories are always worth the ride! jackson is a favorite for us. nothing is better than a night under the tetons!

tiffani said...

I am so glad you went to Wyoming! It was hard to let you go, however. I will show Jonathan these pictures and he will be pretty jealous! Maybe we will go on your family trip to Wyoming this summer! (Just don't tell your in-laws, they may not like it!!)

Amy J. said...

Jory looks like that is right up his alley! Never ever apologize for two many pictures! This is your blog! I am so glad you shared!

orhedricks said...

Love the pictures! I don't know how to do the slide show either...my kids could show me how:) Looks like it was a wonderful trip.

Michelle said...

I don't think your neighbors would mind a horse in the backyard...:) Looks like you had a blast-- It was probably really hard to come home but we're glad you did!

Deborama said...

I love all the pics, the background of the snowey mts is so pretty! One day I will go with you, when us and out husbands take seperate vacations! :) just kidding. not really, no I am....kinda,....no. Yes

AnneGeo said...

Love the Pix!!!! It's always fun to get away, even if it is to Wyoming where the wind blows 1000 miles an hour and it's below freezing quite often in the winter. Sounds like something we would like to do sometime with our family!!

LKP said...

i LUV LUV LUV this post of yours! especially since its about Jackson Hole. =) we used to give tickets away every Wednesday morning that elk sleigh ride on my radio show! sometimes it was to the best bugler, other times to the right numbered caller...it was always fun! =) glad you had a nice time. your post makes me want to go back for a visit so badly!