Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Baby Boy's Birthday Story

Two years ago today, 12-3-2006 Cody Ross Iverson joined the family. Cody is the youngest of the five and was planned. I was sitting in fast and testimony meeting and felt we needed to have another baby boy. When I told my husband, he said he'd been thinking the same thing. Needless to say, we found out in April we were expecting. I remember at the first ultrasound thinking, "If this is a girl, I'm in trouble." The technician gave us the exciting news, another boy on the way.
After the ultrasound, we waited for our doctor appointment and I told Jory this was a silly appointment, because I never have complications. When the doctor came in, she said the baby was fine, but...I'd never had a "but" before. I had partial placenta previa. She explained it would probably correct itself as the uterus grew, hopefully moving the placenta away from the cervix. They gave instructions, no heavy lifting, no strenuous exercise and no intercourse. My husband wasn't too pleased. I followed directions, especially the no exercise. Six weeks later and another ultrasound, nothing had changed. However, I was feeling great and never had any preterm labor with the other kids so I tried not to worry.

Finally at 35 weeks, my doctor gave in and said no chance for a natural delivery. He was more upset than me. With my history of great deliveries without even a stitch and fast recoveries, he didn't want to do surgery. I was all for it, no labor! Boy was I wrong! C-sections are no fun at all. We scheduled for Dec. 4th.

On Dec. 2nd, my husband and kids went to Spokane to pick up my mom from the airport. I took the opportunity to climb up into the attic, pull out all the Christmas presents, wrap them up and then haul them back up. That night I started having pains, but decided to just go to bed. At 2 a.m. the pain woke me up. I figured a shower would make me feel better and I needed to shave my legs anyway. The pain didn't get better. I woke up Jory and told him we better go, I might be in labor. He got dressed, took my bag I just packed that day out to the car and my mom came in to sleep in my bed. As she walked in, I felt the gush. "Oh no!" I said and my mom about passed out as I pulled my pants down and saw the blood. I ran in the bathroom and put on a pad, while my mom screamed "Go!" She ran down the stairs and yelled at Jory to get me to the hospital. I hobbled down behind her feeling dreadful. She asked where the number was to the hospital and I couldn't remember or find anything. We left and Jory sped to the hospital.

I couldn't think as he raced down George WA way going 50+ miles and hour. We arrived at the hospital and they were waiting. My mom had called. They rushed me up stairs. A nurse handed me a gown and I went to change in the bathroom. I bled all over the place. All I could think of was I lost him. As I came out apologizing, they reassured me and helped me up on the table, slapping on the fetal monitor. There was a steady heartbeat. I was elated. At 3:37 a.m. Cody entered the world at 8 lbs., 20 1/2 inches long. I couldn't see him and had to ask Jory to move the screen. He looked puffy. Jory went with the baby and I got stitched up.



When I got to the room, the nurses were hovering around Cody. They rushed him to me and set him on my chest. His oxygen blood levels were low. My body heat didn't help, so off he went to NICU where he stayed for three days. When I finally went to see him, I got sick and threw up. I didn't get to see him for a while, but once I was feeling better, I was in the NICU more than I should have been. The nurses kept telling me to sleep, but I insisted they wake me up to feed him. We were able to come home together, but he ended up with Jaundice and had to have the lights on him for a week. However, we had an in home nurse come and help us with the lights at home.



For three weeks he didn't gain weight and I worried. When we blessed him on the 31st, I prayed Jory would bless him with health. The spirit listened and Jory gave a wonderful blessing. It seemed from that day on, he gained weight and hasn't had any health problems. He is now a healthy and busy two year old. Cody is loved by all and spoiled by all. We love him and know he was a gift from our Heavenly Father.

6 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

Happy Birthday Cody. Everyone at our house loves Cody and often refers to him as Brittons best friend, which is so cute and funny to me.
What a scary entrance he made into the world. I tell you i was relieved when we all had our babies that year, it's always fun to be pregnant with someone though and have kids the same age.

Michelle said...

I can't believe he is 2 already!! Time flies when you are having fun (or least it gets filled with the other 4 kids and their fun)!

l.a.c. said...

happy birthday cody...i love that we share the same special day :) ! it was great to see you last week. you look great!

Deborama said...

Wow that was a very detailed story! I felt like I was right there and I was reading fast to find out what happens in the end, as if I didn't know! So funny, you should write a book.
Happy Birthday cute Cody! Go wild with your 2ness.

Jamie Wobbles said...

Wow! I had no idea! That's awesome he's growing so big! Go Cody GO! :) :)

Jodi said...

I didn't realize how scary that day was for you. I'm so happy that it all worked out and you're both healthy and he's TWO ALREADY!! :)