Saturday, May 8, 2010

Dallin and Kylie's bdays, Prom, Grease, and much, much more.

Dallin got to spend his birthday in Wyoming. Jory took all the kids to Wy. while Kylie and I were in Hawaii. They had a lot of fun and that's a whole other post. April 2, Dallin turned 11 years old. He got to drive around and see the Buffalo Bill Dam and then drive home to Pasco. When I got home Sunday, he opened one present and the other one hadn't arrived. We found out later it had, but the neighbors took it off the porch and forgot to get it to us until he'd been home a few days. We ate our favorite ice cream cake on Monday and finally sang Happy Birthday as a family. It was the first time I'd missed one of my children's birthday. And because of the time change I almost didn't call him on his birthday, but luckily it worked out. He was thrilled to spend his birthday and the week with cousins and grandparents.
Dallin loves the Mad Mallets and performed for the city's award night. Dallin's great scout leaders made him this arrow to hold all his awards. Dallin had to decorate it and take a picture he liked it so much. Here's a big "THANKS" to great scout leaders!
Kylie turned 16 this year and was asked out on her first date.
When she came home from play practice, I lectured her about leaving her stuff all over the house and told her to put it away. She said "OK" and continued to sit at the computer. I acted very upset and told her to do it now. She jumped up and started going. We tiptoed behind and started laughing when she saw the door.
She was shocked by all the balloons and acted like she had to swim to get threw.
It was funny watching all the kids pop the balloons. She didn't want to use a pin, but said they had to pop them the hard way. This is what she found. And before she knew it, time for prom. Thanks Erica for letting Kylie borrow the beautiful dress, earrings, necklace and fabulous shoes. Kylie asked me a few hours before if I would do her hair in an updo. Luckily, I had a barrette in the car for the last three years that helped because I'm not a hair stylist. I'm going to practice next time. She struggled pinning the boutonniere. I forgot she even needed to get one. Luckily her date asked her about it and she said, "What's that?" He explained what it was and she asked after school if I knew anything about it. I AM NOT A GOOD PROM MOM! We rushed to the store and got it ordered.
Jory was at work so the only pose we got was a nice couple pose. I wanted a dad and gun pose. Maybe the next date:)
I ran out after them like a nerd and had to get an "off they go" shot. She's still out and having a great time (yes, she's already called twice, once for directions and once for permission.)
Since I'm not going to bed anytime soon, I'll continue....Kylie's actual bday was kindof a flop. Kylie knew her bday was Hawaii and was prepared. Luckily, her good friend Summer took her to the gym and they climbed the rock wall, a very Kylie thing to do:) She loved it.
I did get her a good straightener and a cake.

Kylie tried out for "Grease", the high school version, and got the part of Patty, the air headed cheerleader. This was the opening number. I was nervous for her since I'd never seen her act. Then to have the curtains open and she's center stage, I about flipped. She was super cute and funny. In the high school version, Patty tries to hang out with the Pink Ladies and is always made fun of and pushed around. She's in a lot of scenes. This is "Summer Nights." The singing was outstanding. All the parts were cast perfectly. This is "We go together." Kylie is quite the dancer. She's really great to watch on stage (says her mother:). This is the dance scene where Patty keeps interupting Danny and Rizo until Danny finally dances with her.
This scene Kylie gets socked in the eye by Sandy after calling her a "floozy." Sometimes the timing was on, sometimes off. But it always got a laugh. During this song "You're the one that I want" Kylie mopes because she lost the boy yet continues to dance with the Pink Ladies. It's really funny. She gets shoved out of line, so she goes to the other side and dances pathetically. She was nervous about the scene because she said she felt stupid, but it was a hit on stage. The last night I took some pics of the kids. This is Patty, Sandy, and Jan. She was really funny.
This is two of the "T-Birds" Roger and Doody. They both sang a solo each and then a duet together. Amazing singers! Also, Kylie's friend Courtney was a dancer and did a great job as well.
I think I got most of the cast here. They did an outstanding job, and every night was better than before. I really enjoyed watching it. It's Kylie's first musical and she wasn't sure if she'd enjoy it. But after all the hard work, she had a blast. A few people said they could imagine me back in high school after watching the show. So for all of you I am posting my first musical debut in "Oliver", where I played the role of.... OLIVER, a boy. Kylie gets to play a cute and fun cheerleader and I get to play a boy. So for all you who think Kylie looks like me, maybe you should go back to the beginning of the blog because maybe it's Dallin who looks like me:) I can remember the first night coming on stage and a little boy in the audience said, "That's a girl, not a boy." I'm pretty sure that's my dad's old shirt I'm wearing. I had a blast doing the role. So much so that I tried out my junior year and played... Mr. Warbucks' Secretary in "Annie". Don't you just love the coat. I can remember my older sister wearing it to church in the 80's. And my senior year, I landed the role of... Dolly in "Hello Dolly". Speaking of prom, that's my sister Shauna's old prom dress. My mom made this dress for the show and then she cut it shorter and I also wore it to a school dance, I just can't remember which one. Guess I'll have to find some more pics:) I also played the secretary in "The Man who came to dinner." My only regret in all these productions was I never got to kiss the leading man, darn it! However, I can truly say that it's still more fun to see my daughter do these things than doing them myself. Plus, I'm pretty sure I couldn't get back into that dress:)

6 comments:

Denelle said...

How fun to watch Kylie go to prom! The things that Kylie likes to do for fun are things that I like to do for fun also. I remember telling Rob that I wanted to go play racket ball for my birthday one year. I love the pictures of you old plays. I remember watching them all the time. Fun stuff!

Deborama said...

That post was SO much stuff crammed into one! Such great pics of the play! I LOVE your pics in high school, you still look like Ky just 80-90's style! :) Toooo funny!

Springer Family said...

I remember when you were in those plays! You were great! :)

orhedricks said...

What fun pictures! Talk about memory lane...brings back so much. Happy late birthday to your kids!

tiffani said...

I just about peed my pants laughing at your Oliver picture! Warn a pregnant woman before posting something so hilarious next time! I can't believe you don't think you and kylie look a like. Your practically twins in Hawaii! (Just not in your plays!!) She is way cuter in her first play! I still remember fighting for the roll of Charlie Brown because you got to play a boy:)

LKP said...

no i didn't grow up in idaho, just spent the 3 years living in rexburg. but A LOT of time was spent in teton valley with the jobs i had. first was a wireless communications company, and i managed the rexburg & driggs locations. the other was morning co-host for a little radio station that broadcast out of driggs & rexburg. we reached as far as jackson, so there was OODLES of time spent in victor, driggs, tetonia, jackson, alta....you name it, i was there! i miss it so much. =)
p.s.
kylie & you could be twinners! no joke. especially that last post from hawaii! phew! mama, you two are stunners. =)