Monday, September 15, 2008

Making the Goal

This summer I decided to join a gym. My goal was to get in shape for the Indian Summer Run held at Columbia Point Park. I wanted to loose weight as well, but we won't go into that. I have run in this race two times before. The first time, I was in great shape and ran the 5K in 29:32. This was the first time I had ever ran under 30 minutes for a 5K. The second time I ran it was last year with some friends. We had all had babies and were motivating each other to get in shape. I ran it in 32 minutes and something. So this year, I wanted to get under 30 minutes again. I've been working out like crazy and was finally seeing some results. Then, my children ruined everything and went back to school. How was I supposed to go to the gym? Anyway, I continued to work out as best as I could. The week of the race approached and I decided I would register that morning. Thursday night Kylie had a volleyball game and I had to pick her up at midnight. Friday I let her go to the PHS kickoff and again picked her up at midnight. Saturday morning I woke up and thought, "NO WAY! I'm sleeping in." My husband had other plans though and began waking up a few of the kids to go with him to work. They were making so much noise, I dragged myself out of bed and went to the race. I was nervous. As the race started, it was hard to get going with all the people. Finally as I got my stride, I tried to focus on running well. As I came around the half way point, I was feeling pretty good. But the last mile, I didn't think I could keep up the pace. I focused on not letting the woman behind me pass. I was feeling pretty whipped, when I finally came around the last corner. There at the finish line was a big clock that read 28 minutes. I kicked it into gear and sprinted the last leg. I finished in 29:04, my best time yet! I was thrilled that all my hard work had paid off.

6 comments:

Deborama said...

Your amazing, I might have to go one year, my starting goal will be an hour and a half! I want to see progress each year! :)

Natasha said...

Good for you! That is awesome Nicki.

l.a.c. said...

you see, i know from experience that you underestimate your amazing abilities :) -- you do good every time! YOU are impressive!

rip said...

I am in awe! You are my inspiration. It is time to get my slothful self moving!

LaDeaux family said...

Good job Nicki! I'm glad I have a running buddy!

Debie Spurgeon said...

I just don't know how you do it, that really is amazing. Your hard work and determination paid off. You are inspirational.